Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hard to Believe...

... but here it is... my prison ID.

I had begun to despair I would not ever see it. On the way to our land, my husband and I stopped by the prison for an appointment with the chaplain to take care of the photo, which was the only thing I had left to do.

I sat in the waiting room for an hour with my husband and my dog waiting in the truck. The chaplain never showed. Those of you who have been following this saga will know that this was my third trip to the prison, which is 50 miles from my home, to try to get fingerprinted and photographed. Every time something malfunctioned.

I left my number and the prison chaplain called me back with his apologies. I told him we could stop in again on our way home on Saturday. He said he'd be there. I called as we were leaving our property and again when we were nearly there to be sure he would be there. He met me at the door, and had even been back to check the equipment to make sure it was working.

I told him I was starting to think God didn't want me to do this. I said that in my experience, when I was doing what I was supposed to be doing, things went smoothly. When things seemed harder than they should, I could usually figure I was on the wrong path.

He said, "Maybe someone else (meaning the devil, I supposed) didn't want you to be here because you'd be doing some good." He said that whenever he was doing what God wanted him to, there were always obstacles.

I said I hadn't considered that possibility.

The photos are taken in the prisoner intake area. He joked that I had probably been there more than any of the inmates. I said God willing it would be the last time.

He took my photo, which wasn't bad for a mug shot, I thought. I told him he did better than some professionals I could think of. And that was it.

Everything worked. The camera, the printer. In a few minutes, my ID card popped out and I felt elated, way beyond what seemed appropriate.

The only thing remaining is my background check, but he saw nothing in my background that would disqualify me.

There were some volunteers that would not make it because they had sold drugs in the '80s. That was too bad, he said, because they were people he'd really like to have there.

So my first meeting is on March 8. I won't be working with Barbara and Barbara after all, but with Cyndi B, who is the Al-Anon prison volunteer coordinator.

We'll be holding meetings at a different minimum security facility. The meetings have been small, four to six girls and they are trying to grow the program there.

I'm looking forward to it.

The chaplain said I'd really enjoy it. He started working in the state prisons in 1982 and planned to be there for six months. He's still there, he said, because he loves it. He never knows what his day will hold.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to be home. And rested. I slept 10 hours the first night, and 11 the second. We took naps both days. I guess we were tired.


  1. Kathy,
    That is so great that you finally got it. I can't wait to hear all that happens. I know you will touch many with your "love".

  2. Woo hoo Kathy! Glad you got it and thanks for sharing the photo as well. Looking forward to learning in the days ahead how the Lord will lead you. Blessings.

  3. This is truly a wonderful service you are doing.. (hugs)

  4. Congrats! You persisted and got it and now others will be blessed by what you are doing (and so will you) :)

  5. What I like about this kind of activity is you will not always know how you impact someone. Much of the good that comes from it will be intangible.

  6. Hooray, you hung in there and were determined to get through the entire approval process. Now you are on a roll!

    I have an award for you on my blog.

  7. that is so neat that you are doing that! i'm very happy for you that you have this opportunity and appreciate you sharing about your experience with it here.

    and i'm glad you didn't let the obstacles stand in your way to doing this either :)