Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Grace Calling

God came calling the other day.

At least I’m pretty sure it was Him. Sometimes it’s hard to be sure. He takes so many forms.

But I’m pretty sure it was Him, because I had been praying for guidance, and this seemed to be His answer.

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you probably know I recently got certified as an Alateen sponsor. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

Then Alateen certification training just happened to be held on a Saturday I was going to be in town, which was rare. So I went and got certified.

I knew there was a need—a desperate need—for Alateen sponsors in a couple of groups. The problem was that those groups were held on nights that I’m almost never in town. So I’ve been praying about it, knowing that God would put me where he needed me.

Then last Monday, when I saw my sponsor at a meeting, she said: “Remind me to talk to you about Alateen during our call time.”

So I did.

My sponsor has been an Alateen sponsor for three years, in one of the groups where there is a desperate need. At this point feels she’s probably been there too long. She feels burned out. But she’s unwilling to just walk away.

“I know you’re not usually home on Thursdays,” she began. “But I was wondering if you’d be willing to commit to one week a month.”

I had thought about that myself but I worried how my husband would react, and whether one week a month was enough to forge a meaningful relationship with the kids.

But now I was feeling led.

I agreed to talk with my husband about it. As it happened, I knew this weekend we’d be home, so I could attend the meeting and meet the kids.

She told me the meetings varied between 10 and 20 kids each week.

“I have to tell you, it’s a rowdy group,” she said. “That’s part of the reason we’ve had trouble getting sponsors in there. You definitely have to be able to be willing to be tough with them and tell them to cut the crap.”

Yikes! This was beginning to sound tough.

But I reminded myself that God puts me where he needs me. That I always get more than I give. That God doesn’t choose the equipped, he equips the chosen.

I talked to my husband, and he was supportive.

So tomorrow I will attend my first Alateen meeting.

Pray for me.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like grace is calling, to me. :)

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Kathy , I'm sure you'll be a very good Alateen sponsor. The next time you visit my blog take a couple of minutes and read my personal testimony located on the sidebar. I've been sober for 32 years on June 10th and I thank God daily. You are also more than welcome to add yourself as a follower of my blog if you want to.

    God bless you and keep up the good work

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just certified too. I will likely start a meeting in an area where one is needed. I too pray for guidance on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be praying for you Kathy and Syd:) Blessings! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, so exciting. I will pray for you, and for God's continued guidance. I think you will do great things for these kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the honesty in these few lines: "At least I’m pretty sure it was Him. Sometimes it’s hard to be sure. He takes so many forms." God doesn't show up in the same way all the time and I'm not always certain that it's Him I heard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rowdy for teens isn't necessarily bad, is it? You will see for yourself soon. I personally think it would be a wonderful experience. Never a dull moment.
    Did you read The Sunday Roast? Your name is mentioned there.

    http://eddybluelights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, good for you Kathy. I will be praying for both you and Syd.

    Thank you Kathy for your very sweet comment on my blog. It means a lot. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, sounds like a grace of a plan Kathy. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds exciting! :) i'll be wishing you all well ~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  11. God bless you. those teens are so blessed to have you. you will be in my prayers for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will. I like your attitude and that you didn't get scared off. I think this will be yet another blessing in your life. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  13. God blesses those who are faithful and answer His call. You are already blessed and He will give you everything you need.
    Many prayers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will be thinking of you. You are courageous gal!one teen is to much for me let alone a bunch of them.
    Dear Kathy, thanks for your kind comment on my upcoming pilgrimage.You are right I do not share the God of your understanding yet we are sisters in recovery on a joined journey. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete