Thursday, April 8, 2010

Happy Birthday to ME!



Two years ago, I walked into my first Al-Anon meeting.

The night before, I had returned from my last "rescue." My daughter had found her way into the rooms of a different fellowship and recognized that her life had become unmanageable.

I spent a week taking her to different meetings. People would ask me if I was the mother. They would ask me if I was in recovery.

"Oh, no," I'd say. "I'm just here to support my daughter."

I was horrified to think they would think I needed recovery. I didn't think I had anything to recover from. I wasn't the one with the problem.

They smiled and nodded. They were very kind.

But I wanted what they had.

I remember feeling a little scared the first meeting I attended with my daughter. I watched these people file into the room. They looked hard and life worn to me. But the most amazing things came out of their mouths. I could hardly wait to go to the next meeting.

It was my daughter's sponsor who gently suggested that I try Al-Anon.

"You won't have to attend your daughter's meetings," she said. "You can work your own program."

I got off the plane and downloaded a meeting list. The next day I attended my first meeting. I still attend that meeting. It's one of my committed meetings and the one at which I will celebrate my birthday later this month.

My daughter never attended another meeting on her own.

But when I visit or when she visits me, I still attend Al-Anon meetings. She always chooses to come along.

The last time she was here, she told me she thinks I'm inspiring.

Who knows? Maybe one day she'll want what I have.

15 comments:

  1. It sounds so very familiar to me. Nothign wrong with me but I wnat what they have. Your authentic, gentle words are so very inspiring. Congratulation, you have what they want... Hugs and love form Germany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday. Maybe she is on the journey, in her own way, and in her own time. We all go on the path with different shoes & socks, but still we are on the path.

    THIS IS A GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Your daughter has her path to travel as do you. I am a firm believer that if you are not right with yourself nothing else in your world will be right. Keep doing what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom started al-anon when i was in high school. over the years she has passed me the books and shared with me things she's thought about and learned. i've gone here and there. but only recently have really started to get into it more deeply.

    i think each of us is ready in our own time. meanwhile, it is wonderful when we can learn to focus on and take care of ourselves. happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh...that is my story too! And I have a wonderful home meeting that was my first meeting 4 and a half years ago, that I celebrate my birthday at too! And my daughter doesn't' go to any meetings anymore either. But maybe someday. For now I am so grateful that you and I found our way into those rooms because I know they have saved my sanity. I would bet you have a similar feeling? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing what goes around comes around. You are in recovery of your very own, you work toward your good health, your daughter admires that. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious birthday to be celebrating. What a great thing to show your daughter, how to take care of herself and put herself first. You are an inspiration indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's totally awesome that you broke free...and are the best living breathing example of recovery for your daughter. Congrats a hundred times over.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Amazing how our lives shine His light and inspire the ones we were trying to fix. You are an inspiration. Glad you are part of this blogging community. :)

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday. Isn't serenity a wonderful thing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! What a great compliment to hear from your daughter too :) God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Birthday blessings to you Kathy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a powerful story of God's love and of recovery. He works in such mysterious ways. Congratulations on your upcoming 2 years. What a miracle and a blessing.

    I'm sure God hears your prayers for your daughter and isn't it wonderful that in Al-Anon we learn to leave the results of our prayers up to God.

    I thank you for so faithfully reading and commenting on my blog. You are an inspiration.

    PG

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on Two Years!!!

    ReplyDelete